FLOWERS FAMILY REUNION ASSOCIATION
CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS AS ADOPTED ON JUNE 24, 2007
ARTICLE I. NAME
The name of this association shall be The Flowers Family Reunion Association, in the future referred to as the Association.
ARTICLE II. PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
The purpose of the Association shall be to strengthen family ties, promote pride, support each other’s accomplishments, and aid family members as needed. The Association will strive to increase and broaden its purpose and goals. Each family member will be asked to contribute their time, talents, money, and sincere devotion toward the service and operation of the Association.
ARTICLE III. MEMBERSHIP
- All descendants and the families of OMERA FLOWERS and ADELINE PORTERA family may become an active member of the Association.
- Honorary membership may be granted to very close friends of the family by consent of the active members.
ARTICLE IV. OFFICERS
- The officers of the Association shall be Chairperson, President, Vice-President, Secretary of State, Recording Secretary, Treasurer, and Family Historian.
- All officers shall be elected as provided in the By-Laws.
- A majority (one more than half) of all votes cast shall be necessary to constitute an election.
ARTICLE V. ADVISORY BOARD (Committee)
- The Advisory Board shall consist of the officers of the Association and State Representatives appointed by the City Connections.
- The Advisory Board shall have the power to transact the general business of The Flowers Family Reunion Association subject to the approval of the active members to fill vacancies in office.
- The Advisory Board shall meet at the call of the Chairperson or President unless the board decides otherwise.
- One-third of the members of the Board shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
ARTICLE VI. REUNION MEETINGS: Dates and Sites (Places)
- The Association Reunion/Meetings will be held annually in June.
- The place of the Association Meeting will take place at the site of the Host City for the year on Saturday mornings.
- Election of officers will be held during the business session of each biannual meeting.
ARTICLE VII. AMENDMENTS
- This CONSTITUTION may be amended at any annual meeting by a majority vote of the active members present. The proposed amendment must be submitted in writing to the Executive Board four weeks before the reunion date to be voted upon. The amendment must be sent to the Chairperson, with copies to President, Vice President, and Secretary of State.
- By-Laws and Standing Rules may be adopted, amended, or repealed at any annual meeting by a majority vote of the active members present.
- The Secretary of State shall send a copy of the proposed amendment to each member of the Advisory Board.
- If approved by two thirds of the members of the Advisory Board voting, the proposed amendment shall then be submitted to the membership, and such amendment shall become effective if approved by a majority of the voting members at a meeting, or, in the event of a mail or electronic ballot, by a majority of the voting members who have returned ballots thereon within the designated time limit. If an amendment is approved, the Secretary of State has the authority to incorporate it into the Constitution and make necessary corrections to other articles to which it may refer, without alteration of the basic meaning of the corrected articles.
FLOWERS FAMILY REUNION ASSOCIATION
CHAPTER I. MEMBERSHIP
- Active membership shall be available to all family members and descendants of Omera Flowers and Adelina Potera.
- An officer may be suspended or expelled by the Advisory Board for conduct which, in the opinion of the Advisory Board, is or has been detrimental to the Association. Such officer must be provided with written notice of the proposed action and the time and place of the Advisory Board meeting at least thirty days before such meeting. The said officer shall be given a reasonable opportunity to appear at such meeting and be heard.
CHAPTER II. OFFICERS AND DUTIES
- Elected officers of the Association shall be chosen by voice or written ballot at the annual meeting and shall hold their respective offices for two years or until their successors are duly elected. They shall be eligible for re-election.
- Appointed officers shall be named by the Chairperson or President with the approval of a majority of the Advisory Board and responsible for managing the day to day operation of the Flowers Family Reunion Association.
- The Chairperson shall preside at all meetings of the Association and the Advisory Board and assume role of Chief Executive Officer (CEO). (S)He shall perform the customary duties of the office and shall be an ex officio member of all committees with voting rights.
- The President reports to the CEO and shall assist the Chairperson and shall perform whatever duties are assigned; (s)he shall assist the Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary of State as required; in the absence, or at the request of the Chairperson, the President shall perform the duties of the Chairperson. (S)He shall perform the customary duties of the office and shall be an ex officio member of all committees with voting rights.
- The Vice-President reports to the President, and shall assist the President and shall perform whatever duties are assigned; (s)he shall assist the Treasurer and Secretary of State as required; in the absence, or at the request of the President, the Vice-President shall perform the duties of the President. (S)He shall perform the customary duties of the office and shall be an ex officio member of all committees with voting rights.
- The Secretary of State reports to the Vice-President and shall assist the Vice-President, President, and Chairperson and shall assist the City Connections Representative as required. The Secretary shall maintain both electronic and postal mail addresses for the membership to facilitate communication. Publication of any address will only be with the permission of the addressee. (S)He shall perform the customary duties of the office and shall be an ex officio member of all committees with voting rights.
- The Recording Secretary reports to the Vice President and shall handle all correspondence, maintain the membership files, and maintain a record of the attendance and minutes of the annual meetings of the Association and the meetings of the Advisory Board.
- The Treasurer reports to the Vice President, and shall have custody of and management of all the invested property, funds, and financial affairs of the Association. (S)He shall have full authority, in the name and behalf of the Association, to receive, collect, take charge of, and disburse all monies approved by the Association. (S)He shall deposit such monies and safeguard the securities and records in the name of the Association in such financial institutions as the Advisory Board shall designate. For all bank transactions, the Chairperson, President, Vice-President, and Treasurer should be listed as authorized signers on all accounts. The Treasurer shall report the financial condition of the Association at all meetings of the Association and Advisory Board. The annual report shall be published privately on www.flowersfamilyreunion.com. In the absence of the Treasurer or as permitted by Treasurer, the Chairperson, President, and or Vice-President can fulfill the role of Treasurer.
- The Honorary President reports to the President, who shall be appointed by the Advisory Board, shall be the oldest known Active Member. The Honorary President shall hold the position for life.
- The State Representatives reports to the Secretary of State, and shall be selected to represent the geographic regions of the United States. They shall be appointed by their city connections. Each State Representative shall be responsible for the activities of the Association in his assigned area, shall develop publicity and public relations concerning the Association, shall provide the Secretary of State with copies of all correspondence and related material, and shall assist in every way possible to promote the purposes and objectives of the Association.
- The Family Historian reports to the Secretary of State, and shall be that member of the Association most qualified by background and experience to supervise the genealogical research and work of the Association. (S)He shall be elected by Advisory Board for an indefinite term and shall maintain all genealogical files of the Association. The Family Historian is responsible for retaining all history, family properties, and artifacts. Family members will send “copies” of family trees, family pictures, artifacts and documents to the Family Historians.
CHAPTER III. BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
- The Directors, who, together with the elected officers, shall constitute the Advisory Board, shall be elected by members of the Association. Of the ten members to be elected, two shall be elected annually each for a three-year term. A Director may serve more than one term.
- The Advisory Board shall meet at least once a year and more often as should prove necessary. The Board shall have authority to call meetings of the Association, determine the amount of annual dues and, suspend or expel a member in any category as herein provided.
- The Advisory Board shall formulate the policies and programs of the Association subject only to the direction of the membership as expressed at annual or special meetings
- The Chairperson or President shall appoint chairpersons of such standing committees as necessary unless otherwise provided for in the by-laws.
- The Publications Committee shall have general supervision over the publications of the Association. Key members of the publications committee, includes Chairperson, President, Vice President, Secretary of State and Recording Secretary. State Representatives maybe volunteer to represent the Association.
- The Scholarship Committee shall establish and publish the requirements for all Flowers Family Association scholarships to be awarded, receive all applications for these, and announce the recipients at the annual meeting of the Association. Policies for the awards will be determined by the Advisory Board. The Scholarship Committee will be all officers and a State Representative from each Connection. The President shall preside as Chairperson of the Scholarship Committee.
- The Genealogical Records Committee, comprised of a representative from all State Connections, shall assist the Family Historian in whatever ways are requested and shall encourage all members to file their family lines with the Association. The Family Historian shall preside as Chairperson of the Genealogical Records Committee.
- The Host City for the year shall be responsible for the arrangements for the annual reunions of the Association under the supervision of the Advisory Board. The details will be published promptly on www.flowersfamilyreunion.com and by other means as deemed necessary by the committee. Reunion letters with associated registration fees should be mailed no later than December 15th each year to family members. Publication of reunion letters and forms on social media is permissible. Secretary of State should provide complete contact information to the host city, upon request.
CHAPTER IV. MEETINGS
- The Annual Meeting of the Association shall be held each June in the host city and published promptly on www.flowersfamilyreunion.com and by other means as deemed necessary.
- The Annual Business Meeting shall be held during the Annual Meeting. A quorum for the transaction of business at this Annual Meeting shall be two-third voting members.
CHAPTER V. DUES AND FUNDS
- Subject to an annual determination by the Advisory Board, the dues shall be established on a calendar year basis, the amount to be determined annually by the Advisory Board. Effective, June 2017, each host city is required to add a $5 reunion fee to every ticket sold. The revenue from the fees shall cover the cost of 50% for maintaining www.flowersfamilyreunion.com and 50% seed money for the following year reunion. If enough monies are not collected, the Advisory Board may request contributions to make up the deficit.
- The Association shall maintain a Scholarship Fund, the interest from which shall be used to provide scholarships according to provisions established by the Advisory Board.
- Other funds may be established by the Association to carry out the purpose and objectives of the Association. All funds shall be in charge of the Treasurer and shall be administered with knowledge and consent of the Advisory Board.
- All sums received by the Association as donations or bequests (unless the donors or testators shall otherwise prescribe), all annual dues, and all income from investments may be applied to the current expenses of the Association or added to the general fund or to the permanent funds of the Association at the discretion of the Advisory Board.
CHAPTER VI. PUBLICATIONS
- A newsletter, the Flowers Family Association News, shall be published at least semi-annually, under the direction of the Publications Committee. It shall contain such material pertinent to the general purposes of the Association as the Editor and Publications Committee shall consider proper.
- The Publications Committee may authorize other regular, occasional, or single publications.
- The Association will maintain a website containing such material pertinent to the general purposes of the Association, and available to the general public, except for password-protected sections available only to members, if desired.
- Except on written authority is given by the Advisory Board in each particular case, no member or non-member of the Association shall associate the name or use the seal of the Association in any publication to make it appear that the publication was issued by or under the auspices of the Association.
CHAPTER VII. AMENDMENTS
These Bylaws may be amended at any annual meeting of the Association by a two-thirds vote of all members of the Association present, provided that a statement of the general nature of the proposed amendment or amendments has been included in the notice of the meeting.
In case of emergency, as certified by a majority of its members, the Advisory Board may amend the Bylaws by written ballot, provided such amendment is approved by three-fourths of the Directors returning the ballot. This emergency action shall be published on www.flowersfamilyreunion.com.
CHAPTER VIII. RULES OF ORDER
The latest edition of Robert’s Rules of Order shall be the authority on all questions of procedures and parliamentary law not covered by the Constitution and Bylaws of the Association.